We’re big cruisers at our house but we actually never went on a cruise until 2012 when my husband had recently returned from a year-long deployment in Iraq. At the time our boys were 5, 3, and 10 months old. We wanted to try a cruise but neither of us had ever been on one. I did extensive research on different cruise lines and we eventually chose to sail on Carnival. So many of our reason we chose Carnival were based on traveling with our children that I thought I would share the top 10 reasons we cruise on Carnival with kids.
Why We Cruise on Carnival with Kids
- Kid’s Camp-Hello, free childcare! The kid’s camps are the number one reason we cruise on family vacations. As much as I love my littles, a few hours break is essential to our vacation time. Our kids LOVE the kid’s camps on Carnival and we love that they love them too! It gives my husband and myself some grown-up time and the kids some much-needed fun while on board. Carnival has supervised kid’s camps for ages 2-11 and organized activities for the older crowds as well.
- Seuss at Sea-the Seuss at Sea program is a little newer but offers fun Dr. Deuss themed activities throughout the cruise, including a green eggs and ham brunch! It’s especially fun if you have younger children.
- Waterworks-probably y kid’s favorite part of cruising, Waterworks is a splash pad on steroids! Waterslides, spray guns, and of course, a giant bucket that soaks everyone beneath; Waterworks is the place to be on the ship. (We grownups think it’s pretty fun too!)
- Dive in Movies-We love to close up the nights on board with the Dive-In Movies. Our boys get their fill of popcorn and watch some of our favorite movies under the stars at the giant over the pool movie screen. So much fun!
- Diaper Duty-When I was researching kid’s programs for our first cruise I had an infant and a potty-training toddler. Carnival was the only cruise line I could find that didn’t charge extra for camp for diapered children. They have children’s programming for kids 2 and up included in the price and camp staff change diapers for the little ones at no extra charge. Knowing we were in baby/toddler phase for years to come it was a huge factor in our choosing Carnival to cruise with kids.
- Sky Course-I hate heights but my daredevil little boys love the Sky Course. It’s an elevated rope course on the top deck of many of the refurbished and newer Carnival ships and keeps my boys busy on sea days!
- Sports Square-Also on the top deck of many ships is the Sports Square. Here the family stays busy playing basketball, running the track, playing corn hole or just hanging out. On sea days they also have a bar and hot dog stand. It’s a fun area of the ship to hang out with the kiddos.
- Arcade-The arcade is the highlight of my kid’s trip on a Carnival ship. We usually only take them once a cruise but they love it! We don’t allow our kids to make charges on their Sign and Sail cards but if you wanted to you could allow them to charge at the arcade themselves. Our kids would probably spend their college funds playing video games so for now at least, we use our cards when they play at the arcade.
- Ice Cream Machines-who doesn’t love ice cream? Carnival has self-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines on all of their Lido decks. It’s so much fun to grab a quick cone anytime you want-24/7!
- Camp Ocean! Camp Ocean is so great I had to list it twice. I already shared with you about how much the kids love it and the diaper duty but it would be wrong of me not to tell you how wonderful the staff is. They keep the kids organized and entertained. My boys always have a ball with them. We’ve even run into the same staff members on different ships and they’ve remembered our kids and their names-how amazing is that?
Overall we absolutely love cruising with our kids. It’s hands down the most affordable and all-around relaxing way to take a family vacation for us, and Carnival makes it a fun time for the entire family!